Hot Tub Maintenance Tips
Cleaning Your Spa
Soak in your spa’s sparkling clean water by following these simple cleaning tips.
- For the whole spa: Use a mild non-abrasive, non-sudsing cleaner and a soft rag or nylon scrubber to remove dirt build-up.
- For minor surface cleaning: Use common baking soda to clean small surface areas.
- For a shiny look: Apply FreshWater Spa Shine to your clean and dry spa shell.
- For spa pillows: Follow the instructions in your Owner’s Manual to remove and clean your spa pillows.
- For vinyl cover: First remove the cover and spray it lightly with a garden hose to loosen any dirt or debris that might have built up. Then, using a mild soap solution (1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid with 2 gallons water) or baking soda, scrub the vinyl in a circular motion with a large sponge and rinse with a garden hose. Rinse the bottom of the cover without using soap, and wipe it clean with a dry rag. To condition the cover after cleaning, apply a thin film of HotSpring Cover Shield™ product.
Helpful Hint: To keep detergent and soap residue out of your spa water, shower without soap before soaking in your spa, and instead of washing your bathing suit use the rinse cycle.
Clean Your Spa Filter Cartridges
Because mineral particles or calcification from hard water can clog any water filtration system, we recommend following these light cleaning tips each month to keep your spa’s water flowing properly.
- Spray cartridges: Spray each cartridge with a garden hose, rotating while spraying to thoroughly remove any debris between filter pleats.
- Use filter cleaner: Use either FreshWater® Instant Filter Cleaner or FreshWater® Filter Cleaner to keep your filters clean and in good operating condition.
- Replace filters: While cleaning your filters will help keep water running smoothly, you should replace your filters every three years with genuine Watkins replacement filters.
Replacing Your Spa Water
While following spa water cleaning tips will keep your water fresh longer, soaps and detergents can build over time in your spa to cause residue. Know how to replace your water with these steps:
- Drain and refill tub: Following the instructions in your Owner’s Manual, drain and refill the water in your spa to clear detergent and soap residue that may have accumulated over time.
- Get pre-filter: For sparkling clean water right from the start, use the CleanScreenTM; Pre-Filter when filling your spa.
- Attach pre-filter: When using the CleanScreenTM: Pre-Filter, attach it to an ordinary garden hose to remove organic contaminants, metals like copper and iron, and tannins from your new water.
How To Winterize Your Spa
Your HotSpring spa is designed for year-round use in all climates. Ensure maximum energy efficiency in your spa any time of the year with these steps.
- Buy a Winter Blanket: Keep your spa hot year-round, even in areas with freezing temperatures, by purchasing a Winter Blanket from your local HotSpring spa dealer.
- Install the Winter Blanket: Install the vinyl-covered, fiberglass insulated Winter Blanket inside of the equipment compartment door, adding additional precaution against partial freezing to some of your spa’s components while maximizing energy efficiency.
- Look for wear and tear: Check that your cover is at peak performance level by looking for signs of wear and tear.
- Check the seal: Make sure the seal is still tight and intact so heat doesn’t escape.
- See if you need a replacement: If you see signs of sagging, fading or cracking, get a replacement cover for your spa.
- Remove snow and ice: Regularly brush snow off of your spa cover and splash warm water on ice rather than prying it off.
- Stay maintained for vacation: If you plan to leave for few days during the winter months, keep your spa maintained with these tips:
- Adjust pH: Before you go, adjust the pH according to the Owner’s Manual.
- Sanitize: Sanitize the water with super chlorination or the new HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidizer according to instructions.
- Lock cover: Lock down the cover to prevent access.
- Lock light and jets: Lock the light and jets feature on the control panel (on 1998 models).
- When you return: Upon your return, balance the pH and sanitize the water prior to using.
If you plan to be away from home a week or longer, call your local dealer for more tips on winterizing your spa, or check your Owner’s Manual for additional instructions.
Keep your spa water clean from algae, bacteria and other unwanted impurities by maintaining a safe amount of sanitizer. With too much sanitizer in your spa water, your lungs, skin and eyes may become irritated.
Refer to your Owner’s Manual for sanitizers approved for use with your spa. DO NOT USE tri-chlor chlorine, any type of compressed bromine or chlorine, acid or any type of sanitizer not approved for your spa. If in doubt, please contact our Customer Service Department or your local HotSpring spa dealer.
HotSpring Spas support is here to help make your spa maintenance as easy as possible. For additional information about the care and cleaning of your spa, refer to your Owner’s Manual.
For any special questions, or any technical or customer service questions, please contact our Customer Service Department or call (800) 999-4688.
Spa Water Products
Accessories To Help Maintain Clean, Sparkling Water
Water is the essence of your spa, so it should be fresh, clean and ready to enjoy. HotSprings offers two accessories to keep your water clean and your care routine easy.
HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidizer
To eliminate unwanted impurities accumulated in you spa water, this chlorine-free oxidizer increases sanitizer efficiency and enhances water clarity. The HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidizer is compatible with bromine, chlorine and most alternative sanitizers. It is also recommended for use with the EverFresh® water care system for the best quality water possible…fresh, safe, and free of odors and irritation.
HotSpring Spa Vac
The HotSpring Spa Vac cleans dirt, gravel, leaves and other debris without draining your spa. This self-contained, simple-to-use water vacuum requires no pumping, batteries or water hook-ups, while the telescopic aluminum pole makes it easy to remove debris from hard-to-reach areas. You can also it on your swimming pool steps and in fountains.